Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday, October 2, 2011


Pocomoke to Virginia Beach, VA
76 miles
I apologize for always starting with the weather report. When doing a long ride like this it's a really important factor. We started out in a COLD (49 degree) rain. This lasted for about an hour an then the darn wind came up blowing straight in our face for the rest of the day. It was cloudy, windy and cold the entire 76 miles.
Once again I rode with 5 other guys who pedal the same speed I do. The last 40 miles we rode in a pace line. That's where we ride one behind the other about 18" (+ or _) behind the wheel in front of you. We took turns pulling each other with each of us taking a one mile pull up front and then going to the back of the line and rotating toward the front for you turn in the lead.
Our gang was the second group to the "transfer" are to be vanned across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I was in the van with my bike loaded on top when a couple of women came riding in. Being the fine gentleman I am (every once in awhile) I gave up my seat and had an hour and a quarter wait for the next van. No big deal!
Here's a few facts on the bridge/tunnel. The first two lanes were completed in 1964 at a cost of $200M. It took 42 months to build it and it was selected as one of the seven engineering wonders of the world. Two more lanes were added in 1999. From shore to shore the facility measures 17.6 miles and is considered the longest bridge/tunnel complex in the world.
The pictures of yours truly pointing at the sign is self explanatory. ..but I thought the picture of the sign at the church where we did the SAG stop was pretty interesting. They claim to have the longest, continuous running Sunday School in America.
Tonight we're staying in Virginia Beach, VA (our ninth state. This brings back memories of my Army days. After I completed my Officers Training I spent time at a small Army Post called Fort Story. It was located at the northern end of Virginia Beach - actually on the beach. Believe it or not back then the Army had ships and this was a base for amphibious landing craft. What I remember most (and maybe best) is that Fort Story had one of the nicest Officer Clubs I ever frequented. And there were only about six officers stationed there. Go figure!
I think we're up to about 750 miles so that only leaves 850 to go on the trek! Looking at the map it looks like it's all down hill. (I only wish)!
Today I wore my leg warmers, two long sleeve shirts, a rain jacket, 2 pair of biking shorts, two pair of socks and full finger gloves. I actually was pretty comfortable except for the darn wind blowing dead in our face and slowing us down by 2-3 miles per hour.
Tomorrow we're on to Kill Devil Hills - 77 miles and more memories from vacations past!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing some of your wonderful memories of the East Coast, Hank! You are looking strong- I am sure "the Pedigrees" are proud to have you amongst them! Hello to Carol for me - that is so great that she is on the trip as well!!!! - Karen N

    ReplyDelete