Thursday, September 22, 2011

September 21, 2011

A BIG hello from Portland, Maine. The fun and games are over! It's time for me to get serious. We start our ride tomorrow. It will be a 70 mile ride to Portsmouth, NH...and the first leg of a 1600 mile ride to Daytona Beach, Florida. Champ, (yep, that's his given name) Walker and I went out for an easy 10 miles this a.m. to be sure our bikes were put back together right (and that I could still stay upright after 10 days of running around the East Coast). Last Saturday I met Champ, and his wife Ronnie, and we toured North Central Maine where my mom grew up and I spent the first 15 summers of my life living with my grandparents in a rustic cabin (kerosene lights, wood stove etc.) on Lake Seabassticook. GREAT memories. You folks that like lobster may be a bit envious...I've had that delicacy from the sea 5 times in the last 5 days. (Not the best diet for my bike ride - but oh well!
We had our first group meeting this evening...introductions and our "route rap" for tomorrow's ride. We're all a bit blue. The weather report for the first 5 days of our ride is rain! Lots of it! I for one hate riding in the rain. It's tough for those of us who wear glasses. It's cold and the riding is a whole lot trickier. But, it is what it is...and Carol will be driving a SAG van so if needed I can always get a "bump". Speaking of Carol, I've hardly seen her since we both arrived here yesterday.
More tomorrow. Help my by praying for sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment